We hear a song or read a story & the good feelings we get don't remain inside of us. We are either anticipating them, or we've had them & they are gone. We never experience them as now... I'm writing a story about a little girl who discovers a cave where there is a lasting now...
The Gift of Asher Lev, p. 99

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What words are

I have not yet been able to articulate exactly what I’m thinking about this concept of “word.” I love words because meaning is conveyed and pictures are painted by the use of them. Proverbs is filled with dichotomies between the wise and foolish use of words. Words directly reveal what is in our hearts. The Earth was created with a word from God. Jesus is the Word, who created, saved, and will rule this universe.


And some of this power has been given to me – to us – to exercise. I use this power whenever I open my lips or pick up my pen [or computer, as it is]. Will I kill or give life? I guess that’s up to what’s inside my heart, the wellspring of my life. God’s Word always gives life because His heart can only be filled with Holy, life-giving things. Psalm 19 reveals how God’s Word/law revives, purifies, endures, gives joy and light to its hearers. My words? – Well, they need a lot of time on the stove of my mind so that the evil will prayerfully burn off.


I often pride myself in a beautifully turned sentence or even just a pair of words – ones that depict a vivid scene or evoke a powerful feeling. I spent much of my life rearranging the pieces of my word puzzles that eventually [or hopefully] become sentences. As I do this, I hope that undergirding Truth becomes evident because if it doesn’t, then they are just pretty nothings.


And what of when I do not have time to play with them, when I must simply speak my mind/heart on the spot? Even here, I must be vigilant, not letting that any murderous words come bubbling forth without restraint. But I also think that it would just be better if I sieved what went into my heart by God’s Word, kind of like Proverbs 4:20-28 suggests. Or like that kids’ song goes – Oh be careful little eyes, what you see…Oh be careful little ears, what you hear… [Why do I think that I grow out of the stage of preaching this to myself?] In this way, the probability of God’s life-giving Words coming out of my mouth increases.


Oh words, they are scarily delightful… like little flames!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see some of your quizzing series in this post. On the "tongue." :3
And I also notice, that you are using a lot of new vocabulary, or at least-- vocabulary that isn't used much in this age. You speak in a poetic, and also.. thoughtful manner Jaime :)
Have you been watching your tongue this week? I have. I've noticed some things I could work on!