We hear a song or read a story & the good feelings we get don't remain inside of us. We are either anticipating them, or we've had them & they are gone. We never experience them as now... I'm writing a story about a little girl who discovers a cave where there is a lasting now...
The Gift of Asher Lev, p. 99

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Do You Want a Better Life?


        The Cave of Now is a difficult place to be in, mainly because it forces me to look at my life each day – both before and after the fact – and reflect, anticipate, seek to enjoy and squeeze ever drop out of now that I can. As I’ve been thinking about that lately, I discovered that easily the most important part of my day recently has been the time I’m spending with God in Scripture.  Specifically, I’ve decided to read through some Old Testament books and study characters.

    I’m also taking a course online to improve writing skills (more on that to come probably) and the goal is to write every day.  My character studies and desire to write more is the perfect environment to share some of the things I’m learning.  I will start today with Enoch from Genesis 5: 21-24.


    He lived in a time where men were living 700-900 years a pop.  (And I thought being 30 was old!) His great great great great grandpa was Adam.  Enoch fathered Methuselah, the oldest ever guy in Scripture. His great grandson’s name is Noah.  So, in Genesis 5, it’s just this list of guys, how old they were when they had their first children (180 years old and having kids?!) and how long they lived.  There is literally no other biographical information.  Just read the first 20 verses of Genesis 5!  Did they have a family run business?  Where they carpenters?  Farmers? Where did they take their family vacations?  The text doesn’t tell us a thing about these men… but each of them lived roughly 800 years on Earth!

    But Enoch.  Whoa.  He gets 3 verses and they are stunning:
  
    When Enoch had lived 65 years, he became the father of Methuselah. After he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked faithfully with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters. Altogether, Enoch lived a total of 365 years.  Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away. (Gen 5: 21-24)

   Here were my observations:

1.The phrase “walked faithfully with God” happens twice.  Enoch’s life was marked by a faithful walking with the Lord.  It doesn’t say this about any of his ancestors. 


    2. He only lived half a life compared to his contemporaries! He lived 365 years.  Everyone else lived 800+ years

    3.  He didn’t die??! It just says “he was no more, because God took him away.” Uh…

     For me, the biggest take away from Enoch is that quality of life matters more than quantity of life. He had half the time of others in his days and yet, his mention in Scripture is that he was “faithfully walking with the Lord.”  This is challenging to me, especially since I get even less time than he did (and I won’t be having kids at age 65!). It forces me to ask the question, am I living faithful to the Lord?  Would people around me say that I’m faithfully walking with God?  It’s not so much that I want to be recognized for it, but that friendship with God is such a rich blessing.  It brings joy in the midst of difficulty, contentedness in the midst of scarcity, peace in the midst of anxiety. The benefits of walking with God are great in this life and infinitely greater in the next. 

     I think Enoch saw and lived this idea. He understood that a life lived with God, though it may appear short comparatively, is the best kind of life to live – a better life.  

     I want a better life - do you?

No comments: