We hear a song or read a story & the good feelings we get don't remain inside of us. We are either anticipating them, or we've had them & they are gone. We never experience them as now... I'm writing a story about a little girl who discovers a cave where there is a lasting now...
The Gift of Asher Lev, p. 99

Friday, April 2, 2010

The Crack Heads

Meeting James and Melanie (and staying at their house) was the runner-up highlight of the trip to Fargo, second only to spending time with Mandy and being a part of her fabulous wedding day!  But a new friendship with the Iversons?!  Well, any friendship that begins with an incredibly embarrassing fart story and a picture of a horrific mustache is bound to last into eternity, right?  

Beyond their generous hospitality and immense hilarity, this couple blinded me by their deep understanding of God’s grace.  Just a few years ago, they were struggling to survive in their AA program.  I like to think of them as “The Crack-Heads.” I’m not sure if they were ever on crack, but, good gravy, they sure used the term a lot!  These sheets are like crack for your body… The scent of that candle is like crack for your nose… and others.  They were so vocal about what God had done for them, His grace in literally changing their appetites from themselves and substance to Him and his love.  

Having been a believer for awhile now, I found these concepts that rendered them speechless somehow “old-hat.” That’s why it was so refreshing to spend time with them!  It renewed my sense of awe at God’s action in human lives.  It also enlivened hope in His Power.  He can change lives.  He can and does act powerfully in unbelieving souls.  He acts mightily in my life.  It was like breathing again.

So thankful.  They didn’t sugar-coat the Christian life.  They faced it head on, struggling through the flesh.  Marriage makes you humble.  Having children reveals your selfishness and need for God. It turned my view of life on its head!  I am not here on this earth to enjoy life, have fun, and try not to face my sin.  Every event in my life has been designed by God to make me holy, to make me humble, to see my sin – and my need for Him.  

James and Mel helped me see that obedient life isn’t easy, but it’s worth it.  It was just what I needed to catapult me out of my annual March slump.  Thanks be to God for you two!  You’re like crack for my soul!

No comments: