We hear a song or read a story & the good feelings we get don't remain inside of us. We are either anticipating them, or we've had them & they are gone. We never experience them as now... I'm writing a story about a little girl who discovers a cave where there is a lasting now...
The Gift of Asher Lev, p. 99

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Recent Reading

When it gets cold and rainy outside in the fall, I'm definitely saddened, but the best comfort has been curling up under a blanket with some new book! I make my list of Dewey numbers and trek to the library. Actually, these ones came to me in different ways.

For me, The Kite Runner began as my EmyJs book. I read it as I was in the coffee shop, but... well, it just got too good and I had to own it, so... I bought it! Hosseini tells an exquisite story. He paints a picture of Kabul, Afghanistan during the last 30 years of conflict. It covers friendship, loyalty and forgiveness as it follows the history of two boys growing up in Kabul. I'd recommend this book to anyone who can read [well, maybe not young readers!]. To be honest, I wept through it. And now, I am entranced with all things Afghanistan.

I also get hungry for some theology in the fall. Perhaps it's because every one is going back to school. Jack recommended [and gave] me a copy of A Reason for God. Timothy Keller addresses popular objections to believe in God in a really straight-forward and readable way. It's fun to come up with the logical fallacies along with him. It's been a good lunch-break book.

Of course, I've got to have a Piper in my pile so Stand came as a result of some clicks around Desiring God's website. I haven't really started in on the meat of it, but the idea is that we must persevere through life with faith in God instead of just giving up [which I'm prone to do] when the incline steepens on the trek. This book is actually a summarization of the 2007 National Conference, with chapters by the contributing speakers. It's a thin book, definitely a rapid read.

The last one that I've been investing in is another Jack recommendation [Jack, I really will read anything you recommend, even though I didn't read any of the books you required for class!] and it's about picking stocks. One Up on Wall Street has helped me understand the market and in light of recent days, made me more conversant in current events. Peter Lynch tells story upon story of his own successes [and failures] on using common knowledge to "out smart" the Wall Street experts. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait a few weeks if you want to check it out from the library in Stevens Point because I've got it checked out!

So, what's on your fall reading list?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, I don't have much of a reading list currently. I need to go to the library soon!
I'm glad you got to read Kiterunner, when you are finished~ you should read A Thousand Splendid Suns. Kabul (correct name, yes?) is an excellent writer, A Thousand Splendid Suns is another beautifully written story.