We hear a song or read a story & the good feelings we get don't remain inside of us. We are either anticipating them, or we've had them & they are gone. We never experience them as now... I'm writing a story about a little girl who discovers a cave where there is a lasting now...
The Gift of Asher Lev, p. 99

Thursday, August 28, 2008

And today I realized that I must find a more productive use for my mind and time...

I saw four letters today that bring me one step closer finally to solving this four-month long case. Four letters. There is a gentleman - I cannot describe him in detail here since he may, in some bizarre way, realize who he is. We'll call him, the reader, for he enters the cafeteria each day with his tray full of today's menu and a book tucked under his arm. He is olderish and he sits alone and we, my mom and I, just wonder where he might come from... We [or rather I] have given ourselves to finding out more about him. Perhaps it's the small bet we have going related to the nature of his work. Mom is convinced he works in IT, but I am not convinced. Whatever it is that intrigues us about the reader, we are intrigued.

Because I have LOTS of extra time around the day, I've been conducting an investigation for the past several months. I've scoured the internet and library resources about our employees, including old and new yearbooks and the employee web directory. I've staked out his table, hoping to catch a glimpse of his security badge. And today, when I least expected it, I saw them... four letters, as I left my table at work. I didn't realize what I was even seeing until I was halfway across the cafeteria. And then I wished beyond anything that I would have seen the smaller letters underneath the four that make up his first name. A first name is something, but a last name... that's identifying! My taskless afternoon filled up quickly for I had a lead to follow. I began making lists of employees with this name - referencing their desk location and position title. I googled, to find ages and possible photos [be aware that if I do this to strangers, I most certainly do it to friends!]. Then, I grabbed my water and a notepad [I've gotta have a good cover!] and began ticking them off as I found them and realized that these men were not the reader. I returned dejected and discouraged to my desk because each of the names on my list had been crossed out in red. It's back to the drawing board. I returned to the employee directory [which you cannot search by first name - dumb!] and began again, determined to find the ones I had missed.

Yes, I have a few more names and locations for tomorrow. And I will find him. I have four letters... it's a start.

Maybe someday I'll tell you about... the old woman.

2 comments:

Becky said...

oh. my. gosh. jaime. you...

astound me.

i am amused and horrified, at the same time.

no, not horrified. you have to keep yourself occupied somehow.

hey, i hear i will see you in few weeks for a long day of biking. HOORAY

Anonymous said...

you have that much time? what exactly are you paid to do again?