We hear a song or read a story & the good feelings we get don't remain inside of us. We are either anticipating them, or we've had them & they are gone. We never experience them as now... I'm writing a story about a little girl who discovers a cave where there is a lasting now...
The Gift of Asher Lev, p. 99

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Penelope, a whimsical delight

Penelope is born under a curse that gives her a pig snout for a nose. She spends her childhood in hiding until, at age 25, she runs away from home and sees the world [that she's only heard about until then] for the very first time. The most enchanting scene in the whole movie is when she opens her eyes wide and finally walks through the street fair, with the bright lights and street vendors. The cinematography in this scene is perfect, dizzily spinning around her as she drinks in this world that she's only seen in pictures. It is sensory overload, flooding her with new smells, sensations and sights. She cannot get enough as she goes to the zoo, the park and all of the things that we all take for granted.

Sometimes I wonder what holds me back from truly seeing what's real around me, to open my eyes wide and see what God is doing and giving me. What keeps me inside my little tower, unable to experience all that I could? I hide within the barriers of sin, doubt, and guilt... probably all three and a few more. I want to live with open eyes - not able to get enough of what God is doing - sucking up every drop that I can. Oh, let's pray for those kind of eyes, and the courage to open them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely description, I now want to see that movie.

The beauty of God is so vast! I agree, sometimes we forget about it, and we overlook it. But whenever we do, it is so amazing! His beauty is so prominent.